New rudder pedals!


I've been thinking it's important to get rudder pedals for a while... but I've finally gotten around to getting them. Was considering between just getting the pedals vs the whole flight pack including the joystick and throttle quadrant but I decided I was getting too poor. So here's my set-up now: 

Simple but I guess it works. Also got a 4TB HDD to store ortho sceneries! Feeling very broke indeed this month. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade my laptop in the next few years but it's already a very decent system and I'm grateful that my parents had gotten it for me.

The pedals took some getting used to I guess and some shifting around to get the right position. I initially placed it too close to my body so all of my weight was on the pedals. This made it really hard to make fine adjustments, so I moved it further away.

I also got my first payware: the REP C172 for Xplane 11, primarily because of the supposedly more realistic flight dynamics / taxi behaviour. With the rudder pedals, I'm hoping that my experience will be quite authentic.

I'm still having a bit of difficulty taxiing especially, and I've learned quite a lot already! One thing is that there is a bit of lag between making the rudder input and the nosewheel actually turning in the C172, because it's controlled by a spring (so the force needs some time to travel through the spring).

On the bright side, I think I've gotten the hang of making coordinated and level turns through observing the horizon outside the cockpit as opposed to the instruments. The rudder pedals especially need to be very finely controlled. I think it actually might be harder doing it in a sim than in real life because you can feel whether the turn is coordinated, when there are attitude changes, the differing amounts of resistance on the control yoke, etc.

Hopefully I'll get used to it soon!

Comments

Popular Posts